MedWatch is the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) program for reporting serious reactions, product quality problems, therapeutic inequivalence/failure, and product use errors with human medical products, including drugs, biologic products, medical devices, dietary supplements, infant formula, and cosmetics.
If you think you or someone in your family has experienced a serious reaction to a medical product, you are encouraged to take the reporting form to your doctor. Your health care provider can provide clinical information based on your medical record that can help FDA evaluate your report.
However, we understand that for a variety of reasons, you may not wish to have the form filled out by your health care provider, or your health care provider may choose not to complete the form. Your health care provider is NOT required to report to the FDA. In these situations, you may complete the Online Reporting Form yourself.
Voluntary Reporting by Consumers, Patients and Health Professionals
In order to keep effective medical products available on the market, the FDA relies on the voluntary reporting of these events. FDA uses these data to maintain our safety surveillance of these products. Your report may be the critical action that prompts a modification in use or design of the product, improves its safety profile and leads to increased patient safety.
If the link to the PDF voluntary reporting form (below) does not automatically open the form in your browser, try installing the latest version of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
|For Use By
Health Professionals, Patients, and Consumers
|Online Reporting Form
Patients and Consumers
These particular reports must be submitted in an electronic format that FDA can process, review, and archive. See the guidance for industry “Providing Submissions in Electronic Format —Postmarketing Safety Reports”.
Pacientes y consumidores
|Regulated Medical Product
Tobacco, Cigars, E-cigarettes/Vaping and Chewing Tobacco
For use by health professionals, consumers, and patients.
|Vaccine Online Reporting
Animal Food, Drugs and Devices
|Report a problem with an animal or veterinary product
Related Information for Consumers
- If you need information or if you have questions or comments about a medical product, please call the FDA's toll-free information line, 1-888-INFO-FDA (1-888-463-6332) Press 2 to report into MedWatch or for instructions.
Guides to Reporting Problems to FDA
- MedWatchLearn - Teaching students, health professionals, and consumers how to report problems to FDA
- FDA 101: How to Use the Consumer Complaint System and MedWatch
- MedWatch Minute for Consumers
- Minuto de MedWatch para los consumidores
- MedWatch Minute for Health Care Professionals
Resources For You
- Where to Send Completed Form FDA 3500A MANDATORY Reporting Form
- Drug/Biologic/Human Cell, Tissues and Cellular and Tissue-Based Product Manufacturers, Distributors, and Packers
- Human Cell & Tissue Products (HCT/P) Adverse Reaction Reporting
- HIPAA Compliance for Reporters to FDA MedWatch