On this page:
- About the FDA Data Dashboard
- Tools for Using the Dashboard
- More Information About FDA Inspection and Compliance Data
- Contact Us
About the FDA Data Dashboard
On January 21, 2009, President Obama issued the Memorandum on Transparency and Open Government instructing agencies to take specific actions to implement the principles of transparency, participation, and collaboration. To that end, the FDA has since published various datasets to include compliance data on FDA.gov. In addition to disclosing new data, the FDA has explored several methods to display data, increase usability, and improve the overall user experience.
The Data Dashboard is designed to support the understanding, accountability, and analysis of public FDA data through easy to use, visually accessible, customizable, and understandable graphics. The underlying data used to generate the dashboard graphs are based upon transparency datasets and other data already available to the public through FDA.gov. The current datasets and data include the Inspection Database and selected data elements from the compliance, enforcement, and import related information on FDA.gov. The Dashboard may expand to incorporate future datasets based upon need and user feedback.
Inspectional and compliance data are refreshed on a weekly basis and only include final actions.
Please note each individual dashboard page provides information pertaining to the data displayed. The caveats and disclaimers provide guidance on the data being reported, data limitations and information on what the data represents. All source data used to create the graphical representations are pulled from FDA’s transactional systems and subject to change.
You may find the location and additional information about each dataset and other data sources by clicking on the links below:
- Inspections Database
- ORA FOIA Electronic Reading Room
- Warning Letters
Recall data used in this dashboard were based upon the Enforcement Statistics PDFs. For more detailed information about individual recalls, please see:
- Import Program Resources
Please note that each individual dashboard page provides information pertaining to the data provided. These caveats provide guidance on the data being reported, data limitations and information on what the data represents. Additionally the following information is provided in an effort to enhance the user experience and define data limitations. All underlying data used to create the graphical representations are pulled from FDA’s transactional systems and are subject to change.
- Inspections and related data disclosed include completed and finalized inspections of clinical trial investigators, Institutional Review Boards (IRB), and facilities that manufacture, process, pack, or hold an FDA-regulated product that is currently marketed.
- Compliance data provides information on a subset of the actions used by the FDA to bring firms into compliance, specifically data pertaining to Warning Letters, Seizures, and Injunctions. The compliance actions disclosed include only finalized and completed actions and are primarily used in the domestic arena. Actions pertaining to foreign firms often take the form of import alerts, and are currently not reported in this Dashboard release.
Questions and Comments pertaining to the FDA Data Dashboard and source data may be directed by email to: [email protected].